Punctual and regular attendance is important to success of students' learning. Students and their classmates may suffer if a student is frequently late or misses several classes.
The following are attendance procedures followed by Mother Teresa Catholic Elementary School School's administration, teachers and students:
- Teachers take attendance each morning using a laptop.
- The school secretary will contact the parents/guardians of absent students beginning at 9:00 a.m. to ensure the safety of the students.
- If parents/guardians have notified the teacher that their child will be absent on a particular day, please also send a note, with the reason for the absence, to the school secretary (via e-mail or sticky note). This note indicates that the secretary does not need to contact parents/guardians when the student is absent.
- Teachers will notify the office if a student does not return from lunch recess.
- If students are leaving for any reason during the course of the day, they must inform the office, and check out at the office before leaving.
- If students arrive at school after the 8:35 a.m. bell, they must obtain an admit/late slip at the office before going to class. Students will not be admitted to class without a late slip.
- Teachers will consult the office if they feel a student has an attendance or punctuality issue. (i.e. more than 10 unexplained lates or absences) Administration will contact the parents/guardians. A Board attendance counsellor will be contacted if there is no improvement in the student's attendance or punctuality.
- If parents/guardians are withdrawing their children for an extended holiday during the school year, they should request approval from the school Principal. Staff is not required to provide daily homework assignments for students while they are on holiday. The teacher may suggest that students read daily, keep a daily journal, or create a map of their destination.
- Absent students should complete any work or assignments that they have missed.